A year-in-industry at Labman is a hands-on, 100% engaged internship that will give you an amazing introduction to automation and engineering. You will be shown how to use your knowledge gained at university to solve real life engineering problems, quickly and economically. You are encouraged to experience all aspects of the business, from using machinery on the factory floor, to participating in weekly meetings, to designing and reporting on live projects for our international client base. You will also gain a commercial awareness and work transparently with colleagues and clients. You will learn to proactively and effectively communicate ideas, both verbally and in formal report format.
You will be exposed to the entire lifecycle of the projects from inception to completion and although you will have freedom to work autonomously, full support and mentorship will be provided. Year-in-industry placements may be given their own project to manage, from start to finish. You will be working as part of project teams and will be invited and encouraged to participate fully as a team member.
Labman expect the successful candidate to have an intrinsic interest and intuitive understanding of engineering, backed up with an academic theoretical knowledge base. Understanding engineering from first principles and first-hand knowledge, as well as learned engineering subject matter, is a must. The candidate must be of a get-up-and-go attitude, showing perseverance in the face of difficulty.
· Working towards being a degree qualified engineer (Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical, Software, Computer Science or a combination thereof).
· Willing to travel within Europe/Americas/Asia.
· Good presentation skills.
· Good research and data gathering skills.
· Extra-curricular interest in electro-mechanical and/or software design.
· Ability to quickly assimilate new knowledge.
· Ability to work autonomously and within a structured team.
· Positive and cheerful attitude.
· Experience with MYSQL databases.
· Knowledge of software development in Microsoft Visual Basic.NET or C++.
· Familiarity with a range of micro-controllers.
· Familiarity with embedded systems programming and implementation.
· A level chemistry and/or biology.
A great and unique team environment in which you can begin your career with a sense of optimism and enthusiasm.
The chance to work in our award-winning, custom-built headquarters, complete with climbing wall, go-karts, and a squash court.
The opportunity to work in the fantastic area of Teesside - the world’s best kept secret. Labman HQ is located on the outskirts of the Georgian Market town of Stokesley - a stone’s throw from the breath-taking East Coast and the Yorkshire moors and yet only 90 minutes from the Lake District and 2 ½ hours to London by train. If you’re local, you know all this. If you’re not, then keep it to yourself; we like to keep the 'grim up north’ façade going as it helps keep the numbers down.
Ready to apply for a position at Labman? If you’ve got what we’re looking for and would like to put yourself forward for consideration then please fill out the following application form, attach your CV and a covering letter explaining why you think we’re for you and you’re for us and outline your suitability and motivation for the role. We make sure to reply to every application we receive.